Registering an event offset from an event
Another event, Event Offset from an Event, is one of three reference offset events. In this type of reference offset event, an event table is registered and posted against the location of an event within a preregistered parent event.
There are three event types in this event:
- Point—Posted with an offset from the location of an event within a parent event.
- Line based on length—Posted with an offset plus a length from the location of an event within a parent event. Note:
The Offset Field becomes the From Offset Field with line events.
- Line based on From event and To event locations—Posted with offsets between a From event and a To event within a parent event.
- Start ArcMap and open the Catalog window or start ArcCatalog.
- In the Catalog tree, connect to the geodatabase that contains the advanced linear referencing system (ALRS) and LRS Network for which you want to add event layers.
- Expand the ALRS that contains the LRS Network for which you want to add event layers.
- Right-click the LRS Network and click New > LRS Event.
The ALRS Event Setup wizard appears.
- Click Next.
- Select Offset from an Event.
- Click Next.
The General event properties page of the wizard appears.
- Type a name for your event layer in the Event Name text box.
- Verify that the parent network is set to the correct network.
- Click the browse button next to the Event Table text box.
The Browse Data dialog box appears.Note:
External events can use OLE DB connections. For more information about setting up OLE DB connections in your database, see Connecting to an external event source.Note:
When adding local events to an SDE geodatabase, the event table must be registered as versioned.
- Browse to the business table for which you want to create an event layer and click Select.
If the table you browse to is in the same geodatabase as your LRS Network, you will create a local event. If the table you browse to is outside of the geodatabase, you will create an external event. You must use caution to ensure you are pointing to the correct location when you browse to your business table. For more information about local and external events, see Advanced linear referencing—staging tables.
The Create New LRS Event dialog box is populated with information from the event table.
- Verify and update the rest of the information on the Create New LRS Event dialog box as needed.
- Set the Event ID Field.
- Set the Route ID Field.
- Set the From Date Field.
- Set the To Date Field.
- Set the Time zone.
- Click Next to set the Event Reference Offset properties.
- Select the Parent Event Properties Event Table from the drop-down list.
- Select the Parent Event Properties Reference ID Field from the drop-down list.
- Select the Offset Event Properties Reference ID Field from the drop-down list.
- Select the Offset Event Properties Offset Units from the drop-down list.
- Select the event type.
By default, the event type is set to Point.
- Select the Event type Offset Field from the drop-down list.
- For points, you need to define the Offset Field.
- For lines (based on Length), you need to define the From Offset Field and the Length Field.
- For lines (based on From Event and To Event locations), you need to define the From Offset Field, To ID Field (Reference ID), and To Offset Field.
- Click Next to set perpendicular offset.
For more information about perpendicular offsets, see Setting perpendicular offsets for events.
- Click Finish.