Distributing a product class
The product class is a type of geographic product designed for a particular use, typically unique types of maps, charts, or digital data that share common properties. A product class has a default product class version and a default data model version that are used to define the schema of the data used for a product. This information about the product class is automatically exported. You also have the option to choose other product class information such as the associated batch jobs, field configuration, or associated files that will also be included when you distribute the product class. When choosing to distribute a product class, the solution that the product is associated with will also be distributed with the class.
When distributing a product class, you choose the class in the Product Library window. If you want to distribute more than one product class from the same solution, use the Distribute Solution tool. If you want to distribute product classes from multiple solutions, use the Distribute Product Library tool.
- Start ArcMap.
If necessary, open the Product Library window by clicking Customize > Production > Product Library on the main menu.
A tree view of the product library appears.
Right-click the product class from which you want to distribute and click Distribute Class.
The Distribute Product Library dialog box appears. The Source is preset to the location of the current product library. The Choose Product Solution(s)/Class(es) pane displays the check boxes for the product class you selected and its solution as checked so you will not need to modify the selected product class.
- In the Include area, check the check box next to the types of files you want to include:
- Batch Jobs—Validation rules you have associated with your product classes
- Field Configurations—Rules used to define how features are displayed
- Other files—Files you have associated with the solution or product class using Manage Files
You can right-click in the list to select all or clear all types of files.
- Click the Target drop-down arrow and choose the target:
- Geodatabase—Allows you to choose an existing product library or any geodatabase. If the geodatabase is not already a product library, you will be prompted to upgrade the database. Ensure that you have permissions to create tables in the selected geodatabase.
- Workspace XML—Allows you to create an XML workspace with the selected information. This XML can be imported into another product library using the Distribute Product Library tool.
- Click the Browse button and navigate to the location where the target geodatabase is stored or where you want to store the XML workspace you are creating.
- Click OK.
The product class and any files you selected are copied into the target product library or into a new XML workspace.
A warning message appears if the information already exists in the target product library or XML workspace. Click Yes to continue or No to cancel.