Extending a line by creating a segment
Lines can be extended by clicking a location or drawing a new segment to extend a line past an end point. The Dynamic Extend tool allows you to extend a selected line by clicking on or near the endpoint to extend from and adding one or more vertices to represent the new segment that will be added to the line. The line can be extended from either end without the need to flip the sketch direction.
- Start ArcMap.
- If necessary, load data in the map.
- On the main menu, click Customize > Toolbars > Production Editing.
- On the main menu, click Customize > Toolbars > Production Editing Advanced.
Click the Production Start Editing button on the Production Editing toolbar.
The Manage Features and Create Attributes, Update Attributes, or Metadata Attributes windows automatically appear when you start an edit session using the Production Start Editing tool.Tip:
If the Create Attributes, Update Attributes, or Metadata Attributes window does not appear when you start an edit session, click the Show/Hide Attributes button on the Manage Features window.
- Select the line feature you want to modify.
- Click the Dynamic Extend button on the Production Editing Advanced toolbar.
- Click the end of the line you want to extend.
- Extend the line by clicking in the space where you want to add new vertices.
- When you are finished modifying the line, double-click the last vertex or press the F2 key to finish the sketch.