Extending a line along a trajectory
Line features can be extended along the trajectory of an existing line. The Dynamic Extend tool allows you to extend a selected line by clicking on or near the endpoint you want to move and adding one or more vertices in the specified direction. The line can be extended from either end without flipping the sketch.
- Start ArcMap.
- If necessary, load data in the map.
- On the main menu, click Customize > Toolbars > Production Editing.
- On the main menu, click Customize > Toolbars > Production Editing Advanced.
Click the Production Start Editing button on the Production Editing toolbar.
The Manage Features and Create Attributes, Update Attributes, or Metadata Attributes windows automatically appear when you start an edit session using the Production Start Editing tool.Tip:
If the Create Attributes, Update Attributes, or Metadata Attributes window does not appear when you start an edit session, click the Show/Hide Attributes button on the Manage Features window.
- Select the line feature you want to modify.
- Click the Dynamic Extend button on the Production Editing Advanced toolbar.
- Click the end of the line you want to extend.
Hold down the SHIFT key and click along the given trajectory to extend (lengthen) the line.
You can use the Dynamic Extend tool while holding down the SHIFT key to extend the line along the trajectory of the last two points of the selected end.
The line is extended based on the trajectory.