Adding ArcGIS Server map services
ArcGIS Server content can be added to ArcMap (as well as ArcScene and ArcGlobe) as map layers. There are a number of ways you can add ArcGIS map services to your map, which are described here.
Adding a map service using Add Data
- Click the Add Data button on the Standard toolbar to open the Add Data dialog box.
- In the Look in list, choose GIS Servers to see a list of servers you have previously used.
If you don't see the server you want, use Add ArcGIS Server to connect to a GIS server.
- Once connected to ArcGIS Server, map services are listed in the Add Data dialog box using the GIS service icon . Choose the map service you want to add.
- Click Add.
The service is added as a layer.
Adding a map service from the Catalog window
- Connect to ArcGIS Server in the Catalog window.
- Choose a map service and drag it into your map canvas. Within your map canvas, your pointer changes . You can successfully add your map service with this pointer.
Adding services from ArcGIS online
Add map services from ArcGIS online as follows:
- Click File > ArcGIS Online. A dialog box appears.
- Choose the desired ArcGIS map or image service from the dialog box.
Adding from the ArcGIS Services Directory
Every GIS Web service published using ArcGIS Server has a URL and an entry in ArcGIS Services Directory. This is a catalog of the services and includes a description of every GIS service. For example, the following is a Services Directory entry for a Demographics/USA unemployment map service:
Add a map service on the Web from ArcGIS Services Directory:
- Connect to Services Directory. In a Web browser, type the URL http://<server name>/arcgis/rest/services. You see either a list of folders, a set of services, or both. Tip:
You can use a URL shortcut by typing http://<server.name>/arcgis/rest.
- Navigate to the desired map service. A Web page similar to the Demographics service description page above is displayed for each service.
- Click the View in: ArcMap link to add the service as a layer in ArcMap.