Converting local drive paths to UNC paths
- Start ArcMap or ArcGlobe and Add layers to a map.
- Right-click the layer in the table of contents and click Properties.
- Click the Source tab and click Set Data Source.
- Click the Connect To Folder button .
- Double-click Network Neighborhood and navigate to the directory that contains the data. Click OK.
In the layer's properties, you will see that the UNC path name is stored in the map. The UNC path name will be published in the map, and all computers on the network with access to the directory will be able to use the map in ArcReader.
An example of a UNC path is \\GISServer\GIS\Project1\Boundary.shp.