Running a model tool
Models can be run from within ModelBuilder or from the model tool dialog box, Python window, or a stand-alone script. To run a model from its tool dialog box
- Double-click the model tool on the Catalog window or ArcToolbox window.
- Fill in any model tool parameters.
- Click OK.
What happens when a model tool is run from the model tool dialog box?
When the model tool dialog box is opened, tool dialog box parameters are created for each model variable that is a model parameter (those that have a P next to the variable when viewed in ModelBuilder).
- The tool dialog box parameter label is the same as the name of the model variable.
- The default value of the tool dialog box parameter is the value of the model variable.
- The order of the parameters in the tool dialog box is determined by the model properties.
Once the model tool dialog box is opened, the parameter values are validated. If the value is blank (empty) and the parameter is required, a green dot will appear next to the parameter to signify that a value is required. If the value is not blank and is invalid (for example, the dataset or layer does not exist), an error message appears, and a red icon is shown next to the parameter.
When the model tool is run (by clicking OK), only the overall progress of the model is shown, not the progress of the individual tools or processes within the model.
There are some key differences when running a model from within ModelBuilder and running a model from its tool dialog box. When a model is run from its tool dialog box
- Intermediate data is deleted after model tool execution is complete. To preserve the intermediate data, uncheck the intermediate option for each variable or make the variable a model parameter.
- The tool executes in the foreground by default unless the option to run in foreground has been unchecked from Model Properties > General tab and checked to run in the background from Geoprocessing Options in ArcMap.
- Only those model outputs that are model parameters will be added to the Results window.
- Only the final output and any model parameters are added to the ArcMap table of contents.