Splitting parcels using Construct from parent
This topic applies to ArcEditor and ArcInfo only.
You can split an existing parcel in the parcel fabric with construction lines. To add construction lines to a parcel, you can use the following methods:
- Add breakpoints to parcel lines using the Breakline tool. Construction lines can then be added between the breakpoints.
- Use the Create Parallel Offset tool to offset existing parcel lines as construction lines between construction points.
- Create construction using traverse, digitize, and so on, then use the Planarize lines command on the Parcel Details dialog box to create construction points where lines intersect.
- In an edit session in ArcMap, click the Select Parcel Features tool on the Parcel Editor toolbar.
- Select the parcel you want to split , right-click, then click Construct From Parent.
- If you are adding breakpoints to parcel lines, use the Breakline toolto add breakpoints or construction points.
- Once the breakpoints are added, click the breakpoints to digitize construction lines between them.
- If you want to add parallel construction lines as split lines, use the Create Parallel Offset tool.
- If you are using other methods to add construction lines, such as digitize or traverse, click the Planarize lines command on the Parcel Details dialog box to create construction points where construction lines intersect.
- Once all the construction split lines are added, click the Build parcels and save into map tool drop-down arrow and click one of the following choices:
- Build and mark Historic to build the new subdivision parcels and flag the parent parcel as historic.
- Build and keep all current to build the new subdivision parcels and keep the parent parcel current.
The parcel is opened in the map or in a local coordinate data frame.