Creating a linear dimension feature
This topic applies to ArcEditor and ArcInfo only.
- Click a dimension feature template in the Create Features window.
- Click the Linear tool on the Create Features window.
- Click the map at the start dimension point. As you move the pointer, the new dimension dynamically draws itself with your pointer location as the end dimension point.
- Click the map at the end dimension point. The new dimension continues to dynamically draw itself; however, the start and end dimension points are fixed, and the height of the dimension line changes as you move the pointer. If you move the pointer to the left or right of the baseline, you will see a vertical linear dimension feature. If you move the pointer above or below the baseline, you will see a horizontal linear dimension feature.
- Click the map where you want the dimension line to be. A linear dimension feature's dimension line is generally not parallel to its baseline. Therefore, the distance represented by a linear feature is not the length of the baseline.