Validating features and relationships in ArcMap
Validate Features checks to ensure that all the attributes and relationships are valid and gives you the opportunity to fix any issues that violate the rules of your geodatabase.
- Click the Edit tool on the Editor toolbar.
- Select the features you want to validate. You can only validate features from a geodatabase.
Click the Editor menu and click Validate Features.
If your selection contains any invalid features, a message box appears with the number of invalid features. Only those features that are invalid will remain selected.
- Click OK.
- Click one of the invalid features.
Validate the features again.
A message box appears telling you why the feature is invalid.
- Click OK.
- Click the Attributes button on the Editor toolbar.
- Correct the invalid attribute values. If you are validating relationships, make the necessary edits to the relationships or the related objects to make the feature valid. This may involve adding and deleting relationships or altering the subtype of one or all of the features.
- Select the features, validate, and perform edits until all features are valid.