Retiring a route
Retiring a route is the process of flagging all or a portion of a route for retirement. When you flag a portion of a route for retirement, that portion of the route is removed from the existing route. This means that the centerlines that participate in the portion of the route being retired are removed from consideration when Esri Roads and Highways constructs the route. This is done by populating a To Date field in the centerline sequence table. Centerline sequence is used to determine which centerline features participate in what routes. By giving records in the centerline sequence table an expiration date, we enable temporality on our routes. Retired routes and retired route sections are only retired when the temporal view date (TVD) is set to a date that falls chronologically after the To Date field for the centerline records. When portions of routes are retired, centerline features may be split to accommodate the precise location of the retire operation. Calibration points are also added to ensure that the remainder of the route continues to calibrate properly.
Retiring a route does not require the use of redline or source geometry.
See Data in the ALRS to learn more about data elements in Roads and Highways.
See Advanced linear referencing—Time-aware LRS to learn more about temporality in the advanced linear referencing system (ALRS).
- Start ArcMap and set up your editing environment for using Roads and Highways.
- Use the ArcMap navigation tools to zoom to the portion of the route you want to retire.
- Set your target LRS Network layer.
- Choose Retire Route in the Activity Type drop-down menu to set your edit activity.
- Click Apply on the Roads And Highways Editing toolbar.
An empty Retire Route dialog box appears.
- Set the retire date.
- Click the Select Location From Map button to choose a route to retire.
- Click the Select Location From Map button to set the from measure.
- Click the Select Location From Map button to set the to measure.
- Check the Recalibrate route downstream check box if you want to remove the length of the retired route from your overall set of measures.
With the box unchecked, the To Measure value will remain unchanged. With the box checked, the To Measure value will be set to the From Measure value in the modified route.
- Check the Use whole route check box if you want to retire the entire route.
If you are retiring the entire route, you do not need to set the from and to measures. Roads and Highways will populate these for you. You also don't need to worry about downstream calibration.
- Click OK.