Editing feature attributes
Attributes can be edited on the Create Attributes, Update Attributes, and Metadata Attributes windows. There are different purposes for changing the attributes on each window:
- On the Create Attributes window, you are changing the default attribute values that are going to be used with a feature template when it is used to create a new feature.Note:
When the template values are changed, they can be saved as a new template that can later be applied to other data being produced using the same product specification.
- On the Update Attributes window, you can change the attributes for an individual feature.Note:
The updated attribute values can also be saved as a template if you think the values you have assigned are going to be prevalent in your production workflow.
- On the Metadata Attributes window, you can change attributes for individual metadata favorites.
- Start ArcMap.
- If necessary, load data in the map.
- On the main menu, click Customize > Toolbars > Production Editing.
Click the Production Start Editing button on the Production Editing toolbar.
The Manage Features and Create Attributes, Update Attributes, or Metadata Attributes windows automatically appear when you start an edit session using the Production Start Editing tool.Tip:
If the Create Attributes, Update Attributes, or Metadata Attributes window does not appear when you start an edit session, click the Show/Hide Attributes button on the Manage Features window.
Do one of the following:
To change attributes for a feature template
Click the Create tab in the Manage Features window and click the feature template whose attributes you want to edit.
To change attributes for a selected feature
Select features in the map, click the Update tab in the Manage Features window, then choose the feature whose attributes you want to edit.
To change attributes for multiple selected features
Select features in the map then click the Update tab on the Manage Features window. Press and hold the SHIFT or CTRL key and click to choose consecutive or nonconsecutive features that are in the same layer or subtype.Note:
When multiple features are selected from the same layer or subtype, the default values for the layer or subtype appear in the Update Attributes window.
To change attributes for a metadata favorite
Click the Metadata tab in the Manage Features window and click the metadata favorite whose attributes you want to edit.
- Change the attribute values as needed on the Create Attributes, Update Attributes, or Metadata Attributes window.
- Click Apply to commit the changes.