Using the current map layout with your map series
The Map Sheet Properties tab allows you to specify a layout for your map sheets.
Choosing the Use Current option allows you to choose the current layout of a map that you have open. When you choose to use the current map layout, the existing layers, page elements, and properties will be used. You can also add data frame manager properties using the Show Data Frame Manager Properties button on the MPS Atlas toolbar.
- Start ArcMap.
- On the main menu, click Customize > Toolbars > MPS Atlas.
- Click the MPS Atlas window button on the MPS Atlas toolbar.
The MPS Atlas window appears.
Right-click a map sheet in the MPS Atlas window and choose Map Sheet Properties.
The Map Sheet Properties dialog box appears.
If necessary, click the Map Sheet Properties tab.
- Click the Use Current option in the Layout area.
- Click the Base Map Data Frame drop-down arrow and choose the data frame that contains the map layout you want to use.
- Choose one of the following in the Layout Sharing area:
- Map Series (Shared)—When using the Build Map Series or Build Simple Map Series wizard to create a map series, all the map sheets created in the map series will have a shared layout.
- Map Sheet (Single)—When using the Build Map Series or Build Simple Map Series wizard to create a map series, all the map sheets created in the map series will have different layouts. Each layout can be customized without affecting the other map sheet layouts. This is useful when building thematic atlases, or when each map sheet requires a custom layout.
- Choose one of the following in the Map Document Storage area:
- Use Map Series Storage Setting—Updates the property for all shared map sheets in the map series.
- Use Map Sheet Storage Setting—Updates the property for the current map sheet only.
- Click OK.