Merging linear events
Linear events, such as speed limits and pavement conditions, can be used to describe entire routes and can be merged to indicate changes in elements or characteristics. The Merge Line Events tool allows you to merge linear events at a specified location. This creates a new event that can be customized to describe conditions or a new element on the route.
For instance, a section of pavement has been reevaluated on a route, and the entire section has been resurfaced, so the pavement along the entire segment has the same pavement condition. With the Merge Line Events tool, you can merge linear route events to create a continuous good pavement event that continues along the entire route. However, you must choose which event is going to act as the target for the new event.
After you choose the target event, the other event is removed from the event table and the length and to- or from-measure field is updated to include the value of the feature with which it has been merged. However, the attributes of the new event can be changed on the Update Attributes window on the Feature Manager so it can be properly visualized in the map.
- Start ArcMap.
- Load events or open an existing map document.
- On the main menu, click Customize > Toolbars > Production Editing.
- On the main menu, click Customize > Toolbars > Production Linear Referencing.
Click the Production Start Editing button on the Production Editing toolbar.
The Manage Features and Create Attributes, Update Attributes, or Metadata Attributes windows automatically appear when you start an edit session using the Production Start Editing tool.Tip:
If the Create Attributes, Update Attributes, or Metadata Attributes window does not appear when you start an edit session, click the Show/Hide Attributes button on the Manage Features window.
- If necessary, enable classic snapping on the Production Editing toolbar by clicking Production Editing > Use Classic Snapping. Note:
To disable classic snapping, it is recommended that you click Production Editing > Use Classic Snapping on the Production Editing toolbar.
- Click the Select Route Events tool on the Production Linear Referencing toolbar.
- Select the line events you want to merge.
- Click the Merge Line Events button on the Production Linear Referencing toolbar.
The Merge Linear Route Events dialog box appears.Note:
The events must be coincident in order to be merged.
- Choose the event with which you want to merge the other selected events.
The other events are merged into the event you choose on this dialog box.
- Click OK.
The to- and from-measure values for the target event are updated based on the other selected events. The events that have been merged are also removed from the event table.