Creating a new horizontal layout rule
Horizontal alignment rules can be set to align the element in the x direction in the layout.
- Start ArcMap.
- Open an existing or create a new map document and add data to it.
- Switch to layout view.
- On the main menu bar, click Customize > Toolbars > Production Cartography.
The Production Cartography toolbar appears.
- Click Layout window on the Production Cartography toolbar.
The Layout window displays.
- Click the Apply Layout Rules button.
The Apply Layout Rules dialog box appears.
- Click the Properties button on the Layout window.
The Layout Rules dialog box appears.
- If necessary, click the Elements Placement tab.
- Right-click the tab, then click Placement Rules > Add Rule > Horizontal Rule.
- Type a name in the Name text box in the Horizontal Rule Properties area.
- Click the Align the drop-down arrow and choose a section of the element.Note:
The default is Left. Other options you can choose are Middle and Right.
- Click the of drop-down arrow and choose the element that will be affected by the rule.
- Click the next drop-down arrow and choose a relational statement. Note:
The default is Even With. Other choices include Before and After.
- Click the the drop-down arrow and choose a section of the element.Note:
The default is Left. Other options are Center and Right.
- Click the of drop-down arrow and choose the element's point of reference. This is the object used to determine the current element's placement. You can choose <The Page> to set up placement rules relative to the page itself.
- If you choose Before or After in step 13, type a value in the At a distance of text box.
- Click the drop-down list and choose a unit type.
- Click OK.