Loading a Coordinate System Zones polygon
A grid's area of interest can intersect more than one coordinate system zone. These scenarios, known as converging zones or zippers, require the merging of the grid lines and ticks. The Grids and Graticules Designer can use polygon feature classes to define the zone boundaries or extent.
- Start ArcMap.
- On the main menu, click Customize > Toolbars > Production Cartography.
- Click the Grids and Graticules Designer window button on the Production Cartography toolbar.
- Load a grid.
- Open the Grids Properties window by double-clicking the top element in the Grids and Graticules Designer window.
- Click the Grid General tab on the Grids Properties window.
- Click Load.
The Open Feature Class or Feature Layer File dialog box appears.
- Browse to a polygon feature class.
- Click OK
The Coordinate System Recordset Properties dialog box appears.
- Click the Zone Field drop-down arrow and choose a short integer field from the polygon feature class that uniquely identifies each coordinate system zone.
- Click the Spatial Reference Field drop-down arrow and choose a text field from the polygon feature class that stores spatial reference information for each zone in coordinate system or *.prj text format.
- Click the Selection Rule drop-down arrow and choose a rule. Note:
The selection rules determine which zone to use for the area of interest that intersects more than one extent or polygon in the loaded polygon feature class.
- Click OK.
The Grid General tab appears.
- Click the Type drop-down in the Primary Coordinate System area and choose Use <polygon feature class name>.
To remove a coordinate system zone polygon, click Remove on the Grid General tab of the Grid Properties window.
To access coordinate system zone properties, click Properties on the Grid General tab of the Grid Properties window.