Rounding the scale
The scale and extent options are used to set the scale and control the size of the data frame. Extent controls the possible interactions between the size of the data frame and the extent of the AOI feature. Scale and extent are dependent on one another. A change in one has the ability to affect the other.
The scale can be calculated to fit within the data frame by rounding the scale.
- Start ArcMap.
- On the main menu, click Customize > Toolbars > MPS Atlas.
Click the Show Data Frame Manager Properties button on the MPS Atlas toolbar.
The Data Frame Managers dialog box appears.
- Click to choose a data frame manager .
The Data Frame Manager Properties dialog box appears.
- Click the Scale and Extent tab.
Click the Round Scale to Nearest option.
Type a number in the Round Scale To Nearest field.
This value will be used to round the scale to a more cartographically appropriate number. For example, a calculated scale of 25123 is rounded to 25000 if the nearest value of 1000 is used.
Choose either the Do Not Resize Data Frame or Set Data Frame Size option.
- The Do Not Resize Data Frame option sets the data frame so that it will not be changed if it is resized interactively; the AOI feature is scaled to fit, and the scale is rounded within the resulting data frame.
- The Set Data Frame Size option sets the data frame to a fixed height and width. If you attempt to interactively resize it, it will return to the specified size. If you choose this option, you need to define the data frame's size in the Width and Height text boxes below.
- Type a value in the Width and Height text boxes.
Click the Units drop-down arrows for the width and height, and choose the unit of measurement you want to use to define the data frame's extent for the height and width, respectively.
If you change the units for either the height or the width, you must change the unit of measurement on the other so they match.
The Unit Type drop-down list indicates that page units are being used. The Page units use the designated number of page units to determine the size of the data frame. The Map units set the data frame based on the AOI feature's size.
- Click OK.