Validating the current extent with batch jobs
The Validate Current Extent tool allows you to run batch jobs on the current map extent and find features that meet the conditions specified in the checks. Once the checks finish running on the selected features, the results can be browsed using the Browse Features window.
Features in the map can be validated on an as-needed basis. For instance, you could have features that are within a specific region or extent, such as a Topographic Line Map (TLM) or Joint Operations Graphic (JOG) area. To ensure the features comply with the Vector Map (VMap) Level 2 (VMap 2) or VMap 1 product specifications, you could run spatial data checks on them to ensure they are the correct size, distance from other features, and so forth.
To run the attribute and spatial checks on the map data, the checks first need to be associated with the product class in the product library that matches the data currently in the map. If a batch job is not associated with the same product class as the current map data, it cannot be run on the current extent using the Validate Current Extent tool.
- Start ArcMap.
- If necessary, load data in the map.
- On the main menu, click Customize > Toolbars > Production Editing.
- If you want to choose which batch jobs are going to be run on the current extent, do the following:
If you only want to run the batch jobs on the current extent, proceed to step 5.
- On the Production Editing toolbar, click the arrow next to the Validate Current Selection button and click Select Batch Jobs. Note:
If you previously configured this tool to validate the current extent, the tool is called Validate Current Extent.
The Select Batch Jobs dialog box appears. The Spatial and Attribute batch jobs that have been associated with the product class that matches the map data appear in the Select Batch Job(s) list. The batch jobs are associated with a product class through the Associate Batch Jobs tool or the product class properties.
- If necessary, uncheck the check boxes next to the names of the batch jobs you do not want to run using the Validate Current Selection tool.Tip:
You can also click Select All or Clear All to simultaneously check or uncheck all the check boxes, respectively.
- Choose the Current Extent option in the Choose Extent area.
- Click OK.Note:
The tool name changes to Validate Current Extent on the Production Editing toolbar for the current ArcMap session. The next time you start ArcMap, the tool name changes back to Validate Current Selection.
- On the Production Editing toolbar, click the arrow next to the Validate Current Selection button and click Select Batch Jobs.
- Change the map extent so it includes the features you want to validate.
- Click the Validate Current Extent button on the Production Editing toolbar.
The Executing batch job window appears with a progress bar. Once the validation is complete, the batch job is run on the currently selected features.
If errors are found, the Browse Features window appears in ArcMap after the validation process is complete. If no errors are found, no message appears.