Creating master-slave relationships in batch
To create a master-slave relationship between two points, the two point features must share the same x,y geometry values. However, when line, area, and point geometry type features are grouped into a master-slave relationship, they do not have to share similar geometry values. There could be more than one slave feature, but only one master feature is allowed in a relationship. If you have selected two or more master features when creating a master-slave relationship, you have to choose which one is the master feature from the selection, and the remaining master features become slave features in the relationship.
- Start ArcMap.
- On the main menu, click Customize > Toolbars > Production Editing.
- On the main menu, click Customize > Toolbars > Nautical.
Click the Production Start Editing button on the Production Editing toolbar.
The Manage Features and Create Attributes, Update Attributes, or Metadata Attributes windows automatically appear when you start an edit session using the Production Start Editing tool.Tip:
If the Create Attributes, Update Attributes, or Metadata Attributes window does not appear when you start an edit session, click the Show/Hide Attributes button on the Manage Features window.
Click the Relationship Manager button on the Nautical toolbar.
The Relationship Manager window appears.
Right-click Master/Slave(s) in the tree view and click Batch Create.
The batch create process performs a spatial query for all point features that qualify to participate in a master-slave relationship. To qualify, features that can potentially share a master-slave relationship must be spatially colocated.
You are asked to choose the extent in which you want to run the batch process.
Choose Within current extent.
You may also use the Selection Features option if you already have features selected before clicking Batch Create.
The batch create process begins and the hourglass icon appears. If no features are found that qualify to participate in a master-slave relationship, you are notified through a message box. Otherwise, the Batch Master/Slave Create dialog box appears.
Select one of the following:
- Create Potentials—The number of master-slave features displayed in the dialog box will be created. You can view each relationship through the Browse Features dialog box after they are created.
- View Questionable—You can view the features through the Browse Features dialog box and create relationships manually.
- Click OK.
- If you choose View Questionable, follow the steps below:
- Select features from which to create one relationship.
- Click the Relationship Manager button on the Nautical toolbar.
- Right-click Master/Slave(s) in the tree view and click Create.
The new master-slave relationship appears in the tree view if you selected only one master feature.