Trimming line features
The Extend/Trim Selected Line with Edit Sketch tool allows you to extend or trim a line, respectively, by drawing a sketch in the map. If the sketch crosses the selected feature, the feature is trimmed. All the feature's geometry that exists to the right of the digitized sketch line is deleted.
When the sketch starts below the feature, the part of the feature to the right of the sketch is trimmed.
- Start ArcMap.
- If necessary, load data in the map.
- On the main menu, click Customize > Toolbars > Production Editing.
- On the main menu, click Customize > Toolbars > Production Editing Advanced.
Click the Production Start Editing button on the Production Editing toolbar.
The Manage Features and Create Attributes, Update Attributes, or Metadata Attributes windows automatically appear when you start an edit session using the Production Start Editing tool.Tip:
If the Create Attributes, Update Attributes, or Metadata Attributes window does not appear when you start an edit session, click the Show/Hide Attributes button on the Manage Features window.
- Select the set of polylines to trim.
- Click the Extend/Trim Selected Line with Edit Sketch button on the Production Editing toolbar.
- Draw a line on the map display that intersects the selected polylines.
The feature is trimmed based on where the line has been drawn on the map.