Creating a point feature at an intersection
When two or more features intersect in a map, the location of the intersection is often important and may need to be captured. For example, when a trail intersects a major road, you may want to capture the intersection location to associate it with a roadblock or an observation point feature class.
The Production Create Points at Intersections tool allows you to create point features from the intersections of selected line and polygon features and write the new points to the target layer.
To create the points at intersections, there must be a clear point at which the lines intersect other lines or the boundary of a polygon. If features are coincident, there is no clear point at which they intersect, so points cannot be created where they intersect. For instance, if there are two line features that overlap each other, the point of intersection cannot be found because the endpoint of either line feature cannot be distinguished.
- Start ArcMap.
- If necessary, load data in the map.
- On the main menu, click Customize > Toolbars > Production Editing.
- On the main menu, click Customize > Toolbars > Production Editing Advanced.
Click the Production Start Editing button on the Production Editing toolbar.
The Manage Features and Create Attributes, Update Attributes, or Metadata Attributes windows automatically appear when you start an edit session using the Production Start Editing tool.Tip:
If the Create Attributes, Update Attributes, or Metadata Attributes window does not appear when you start an edit session, click the Show/Hide Attributes button on the Manage Features window.
- Choose a point template on the Create tab on the Manage Features window.
- Click the Select Features button and select at least two linear and/or polygon features.
- Click the Production Create Points at Intersections button on the Production Editing Advanced toolbar.
A point feature is created at the intersection of the selected features. The new feature has the attributes of the selected template.