Initial setup for overview diagrams
Both fixed background and centered extents require the same initial setup. A second data frame must be added to the page layout and the layers you want in your diagram must be added and symbolized.
- Start with an existing map series or build a map series in the base map.
- Open the Table Of Contents window.
Click Insert > Data Frame to insert the new data frame to be used for the overview diagram.
The new data frame appears in the center of the layout.
- Position and resize the overview diagram in relation to your base map.
Right-click the new data frame in the table of contents and choose Properties.
The Data Frame Properties dialog box appears.
Click the General tab and rename the new data frame with an appropriate name .
For example, "Overview Diagram".
- Click OK.
- Use the Add Data button to add layers or copy and paste feature layers from the basemap data frame in the table of contents to the overview diagram data frame.
- Right-click any copied feature layers for the overview diagram data frame in the table of contents and click Properties to open the Layer Properties dialog box.
- Symbolize, label, and set the data frame and layer properties.
- Click OK.
- Use the scale, pan, and zoom tools to define the scale and initial position of the data within the overview diagram.