Replacing a definition query for a single layer
You can replace a definition query for a single layer. This allows ArcMap to limit features displayed for a specific chart.
- Start ArcMap.
- On the main menu, click Customize > Toolbars > Customize.
The Customize dialog box appears.
- Click the Commands tab. In the Categories list, choose Production Cartography.
- In the Commands list, choose Feature Display Settings.
- Drag the Feature Display Settings command onto any toolbar.
Click the Feature Display Settings button .
The Feature Display Settings dialog box appears.
- If necessary, click the Definition Queries tab.
In the Feature Layers list, click the name of the feature layer for which you want to define the definition query.
Checking the check box next to the feature layer will not select it.
The Define Query Expression dialog box appears.
- Modify the query as needed.
The Verifying Expression dialog box appears and indicates whether or not the expression is valid.
- Click OK.
The Definition Queries tab appears with the modified query in the Single query (selected item) text box.
- In the Feature Layers list, check the check box next to the feature layer whose definition query you want to update.
A message appears indicating which feature layer definition query has been updated.
- Click OK.
- Click the Close button to close the Feature Display Settings dialog box.