Creating airspace areas
The Create Airspace Areas tool allows you to associate vertical (flight level) information from an airspace to two-dimensional features. Labeling these features with vertical information allows the display of three-dimensional information on a two-dimensional chart.
Airspace areas are the division of airspace features that have the exact same horizontal extent. To generate airspace areas, the Create Airspace Areas tool uses the following general process:
- Select airspace features that fall within an instance from a product library.
- Select all overlapping airspace features.
- Union airspace features. This creates one or more coincident geometries stacked upon one another (features with identical horizontal extent).
- Locate adjacent Airspace features that would receive the same label and merge the features together, writing the vertical information from fields Ident_Txt, Name_Txt, DistVertUpper_Val, and DistVertLower_Val (or any other field that is different between the features) into the MultiAirspace_Txt field.
- Copy the merged geometry onto the AirspaceArea feature.
- Start ArcMap.
- Ensure that the correct product library and production database are set in the Data Management pane on the Production Properties dialog box.
- Ensure that there are instances set in the Instances Maintained list in Set Tool Options in the Data Management pane.
- If necessary, load a product into ArcMap.
- On the main menu, click Customize > Toolbars > Aeronautical Data Management.
- Click the Create Airspace Areas button on the Aeronautical Data Management toolbar.
The Create Airspace Areas dialog box appears.
- In the Instances to Process list, expand each node in the tree view until you find the instance against which the tool will run.
- Check the check box next to the instance name.
- Click the drop-down arrow in the Preferences section and choose a preference name.Note:
You must configure Airspace Area preferences before running this tool. You set preferences on the Production Properties dialog box, in the Data Management pane, under Set Tool Options.
- Click OK to build airspace areas.