Creating elevation points from DEMs
The Create Elevation Point From DEM tool can add elevation points where you click on the map. The template used with the tool is the point layer that contains the elevation value field. This elevation value is automatically calculated from the raster when the point is created on the map.
The elevation values are usually stored in the ZV2 field but may be in a different field in the data you are using. You can specify the name of the field that stores the elevation values using the Contour Field Name Options tool.
When you have a digital elevation model (DEM) or digital terrain elevation data (DTED) loaded in the map, the elevation values for the points are interpolated based on the point's position on the contour.
If you have a .tif or similar file loaded in the map, the elevation values are based on the pixel values in the image.
- Start ArcMap.
Load a raster in the table of contents.
You must have both a point and a raster layer loaded to perform this task.
- On the main menu, click Customize > Toolbars > Production Editing.
- On the main menu, click Customize > Toolbars > Production Contouring.
Click the Production Start Editing button on the Production Editing toolbar.
The Manage Features and Create Attributes, Update Attributes, or Metadata Attributes windows automatically appear when you start an edit session using the Production Start Editing tool.Tip:
If the Create Attributes, Update Attributes, or Metadata Attributes window does not appear when you start an edit session, click the Show/Hide Attributes button on the Manage Features window.
- Click the Create tab on the Manage Features window.
Choose the template for the elevation points.
This is typically named ElevP.Tip:
The point layer must contain a ZV2 or other elevation attribute, which can be viewed in the attribute table in the Create Attributes window.
- Click the Create Elevation Point From DEM button on the Production Contouring Tools toolbar.
- Hover over rasters in the map to view their heights in the lower-left corner of the status bar in ArcMap.
Click in the map to create a new elevation point.
The point is selected in the map.
- Save the edits when you are finished by clicking the Save Edits button on the Production Editing toolbar.