Setting up feature layer definition queries
A feature layer definition query allows you to set up a dynamic query on any of the layers in the table of contents. The definition query is used to match an attribute value with an attribute value in the area of interest (AOI) feature class used for the map sheet name. If the two values match, the definition query limits what is shown in the data frame to only those with that attribute.
- Start ArcMap.
- On the main menu, click Customize > Toolbars > MPS Atlas.
Click the Show Data Frame Manager Properties button on the MPS Atlas toolbar.
The Data Frame Managers dialog box appears.
- Click to choose a data frame manager .
The Data Frame Manager Properties dialog box appears.
- Click the Dynamic Definition Query tab.
Click the Feature Layer Definition Query option.
- In the Feature Layers area, check the check boxes next to the layers you want to participate in the definition query.
Click the Feature Layer Field Name drop-down arrow and choose a field name from the feature layer.
Only the fields common to the selected layers are available to use for your definition query.
- Click the Map Sheet Field Name drop-down arrow and choose the field that will correspond with the field selected for the feature layer.
- Click OK.