Installing the Data Reviewer service
After you are finished installing the Data Reviewer software, there is an additional process that must be followed if you want to use the Data Reviewer service. This is a Windows service that allows you to validate data at a scheduled date and time or at regular intervals.
To configure the Data Reviewer service, there is a wizard that guides you through the following processes:
- Installing the Data Reviewer service
- Choosing the directory that is going to store the service configuration file, the log files, and the Data Reviewer service job file, which contains references to the batch jobs that are going to be run as well as any scheduling information
- Automatically launching the Data Reviewer service controller
Choosing a directory for the Data Reviewer service files
The directory you choose for the Data Reviewer service files is actually a parent that has subdirectories added to it for the service configuration, service job, and log files. The resulting subdirectories are named config, jobs, and logs, respectively.
These are also the directories the service controller opens by default when you save or open any of the Data Reviewer service files. Also, during the installation process, a default service configuration file, revserviceconfig.xml, is created in the config directory.
Automatically launching the service controller
If you want to set up the service configuration file and service job immediately after the installation is complete, you can choose to have the service controller start once the installer is complete. When you choose this option, the Data Reviewer Service Controller icon appears in the system tray, and a message notifies you that the service has not been started. Once the service is started, the service configuration and service job files can be configured.
If you want the service controller to automatically start when the machine is started, you need to place a shortcut to the ReviewerServiceController.exe in the Startup folder for the appropriate user.
Installing the Data Reviewer service
The Reviewer Service Post Installation wizard guides you through the process of installing the Data Reviewer service on a local machine.
In Windows, click Start > All Programs > ArcGIS Data Reviewer 10 > GIS Data Reviewer Service Post Installation.
If you are running Windows 7, the postinstallation must be run by an administrator. To do this, right-click GIS Data Reviewer Service Post Installation and click Run as administrator.
The Welcome To Reviewer Service Post Installation dialog box appears.
The Reviewer Service Folder dialog box appears.
Click the Browse For Folder Location button next to the Select Folder text box.
The Browse For Folder dialog box appears.
Navigate to the directory in which you want to store the configuration, job, and log files.
If you need to create a new folder, you can click Make New Folder and define a name for it.
The path to the directory appears in the Select Folder text box.
The Install Options dialog box appears.
To automatically launch the Data Reviewer service controller once the postinstallation process is complete, check the Launch Service Controller after Post Installation is complete check box.
This option is not checked by default.
The Reviewer Service Post Install Summary dialog box appears.
Once the installation is complete, the Post Installation Complete dialog box appears.
The installation process is complete.
If you checked the Launch Service Controller after Post Install is Complete check box in step 7, the Data Reviewer Service Controller icon appears in the system tray.
Additional post installation tasks
After the service has been installed, there are additional tasks that need to be performed to use the service:
- If you did not choose to launch the Data Reviewer service controller after the postinstallation was complete, start it by clicking Start > All Programs > ArcGIS Data Reviewer 10 > GIS Data Reviewer Service Controller.
- The service needs to be started through the Reviewer Service Control dialog box, which can be accessed by right-clicking the icon in the system tray and clicking Manage Service.The first time the service is started, a message notifies you that the Reviewer service configuration file is incomplete.
- A service job file needs to be created for the service.
- A service configuration file needs to be configured for the service.
Configuring the Data Reviewer service controller to automatically start
Optionally, once you are finished installing the Data Reviewer service, you can add a shortcut to the ArcGIS Data Reviewer service controller in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup directory.
- Navigate to the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup directory.
- Right-click the directory, then click New > Shortcut.
The Create Shortcut dialog box appears.
- Click Browse.
The Browse For File dialog box appears.
- Navigate to the [installation directory]\Program Files\Common Files\ArcGIS Data Reviewer\Desktop10.0\Bin\ReviewerServiceController.exe file.
- Click OK.
- Click Next.
The Select a Title for the Program dialog box appears.
- Type a name for the shortcut in the Type a name for this shortcut text box.
- Click Finish.