The Cut Polygons tool allows you to cut selected polygons into multiple polygons by drawing a polyline sketch where the polygons are to be split. Each polygon that is created by the split becomes a new feature but inherits the attributes of the feature from which it has been created.
- Start ArcMap.
- If necessary, load data in the map.
- On the main menu, click Customize > Toolbars > Production Editing.
- On the main menu, click Customize > Toolbars > Production Editing Advanced.
Click the Production Start Editing button on the Production Editing toolbar.
The Manage Features and Create Attributes, Update Attributes, or Metadata Attributes windows automatically appear when you start an edit session using the Production Start Editing tool.Tip:
If the Create Attributes, Update Attributes, or Metadata Attributes window does not appear when you start an edit session, click the Show/Hide Attributes button on the Manage Features window.
- Select one or more polygon features.
- Click the Cut Polygons tool on the Production Editing toolbar.
- Draw a line across the selected polygons, ensuring that it intersects the existing polygons in a minimum of two locations.
- Double-click the end node to finish the line sketch.
The polygons are divided where the line has been drawn.