Defining a production database
A production database is the geodatabase used in implementations of several ESRI solutions, such as the Aeronautical Solution and Nautical Solution. It can be the primary database that contains the geographic data. That data can be used directly or to create and maintain the charts, maps, and cells for production. It specifies the data model and dataset you are using.
The location of a production database can be set in either ArcMap or ArcCatalog by selecting a workspace—the path and name of the database. There are 10 properties associated with the production database, but only the following update automatically once the workspace is set:
- Workspace Type—The type of database, such as local (personal or file geodatabase)
- Privileges—Describes whether you have read-only or read/write privileges for the database
If necessary, start ArcMap or ArcCatalog.
The geodatabase location can be defined or updated only with either ArcMap or ArcCatalog open. Both applications cannot be open. You cannot set the geodatabase in the Catalog window.
- On the main menu, click Customize > Production > Production Properties.
The Production Properties dialog box appears.
- If necessary, click Data Management.
- If necessary, click the cell next to Auto Update.
- If necessary, click the drop-down arrow that appears and choose False.
Click the plus sign (+) next to Production Database.
Click the cell next to Workspace in the Production Database section and click the ellipsis (...) that appears.
The Please browse to the location of the production database Workspace dialog box appears.
- Navigate to the database that contains the data for your map or chart.
The Upgrade Workspace dialog box appears if the geodatabase does not have all the components necessary to perform as a production database. Click OK if you want to upgrade the geodatabase you want to use as the production database and click OK once the upgrade completes.
The path to the production database appears in the cell next to Workspace, and the Privileges and Workspace Type fields are automatically populated.
- Click OK.
You can also set the production database through the Product Library window in ArcMap by right-clicking the Product Library node and clicking Properties.