Fixing incomplete templates by replacing a missing feature template
One reason a composite template may be displayed as incomplete is because one of the layers that contains the feature templates used in the composite template is no longer being used. This can be resolved by replacing the missing template with another of the same geometry type.
Use this method to fix the incomplete composite template if you have a new feature template that you want to use to replace the existing template.
Use this method only if you will not be using the layer on which the missing feature template is based. Adding the layer to the map after removing it from the composite template will cause more incomplete composite templates to be created.
- Start ArcMap.
- If necessary, load data in the map.
- On the main menu, click Customize > Toolbars > Production Editing.
Click the Production Start Editing button on the Production Editing toolbar.
The Manage Features and Create Attributes, Update Attributes, or Metadata Attributes windows automatically appear when you start an edit session using the Production Start Editing tool.Tip:
If the Create Attributes, Update Attributes, or Metadata Attributes window does not appear when you start an edit session, click the Show/Hide Attributes button on the Manage Features window.
- Ensure that the feature templates you want to use as part of the composite template have been created.
Feature templates can be created in a number of ways, including using the Organize Templates tool or saving changes to template attributes on the Feature Attributes window.
- Click the Create tab on the Manage Features window.
- Double-click a composite template on the Create tab on the Manage Features window.Tip:
You can also right-click a composite template and click Properties.
The Composite Templates Properties dialog box appears and shows the list of templates used in the composite template.
The same red symbol appears next to the templates that are not loaded or visible in the table of contents.
- Click the name of the missing template in the template list.
- Click Remove to the right of the template list.
Click Add to the right of the template list.
The Add Templates dialog box appears.
- Check the check box next to the template you want to include in the composite template.
- Click OK.
- Set the order of the templates using the Up and Down arrows next to the template list.Note:
Some composite construction tools, such as Point at Line Start or End, create features based on the order of the templates.
- Update the other properties of the composite template as necessary.
- Click OK.