Creating placement rule groups
You can organize layout rules into groups. For example, if you have three text elements for the computer name, date, and time, you could create three rule groups called Computer Name, Date, and Time.
- Start ArcMap.
- Open an existing map document or create a new map document and add data to it.
- Switch to layout view.
- On the main menu bar, click Customize > Toolbars > Production Cartography.
The Production Cartography toolbar appears.
- Click the Layout window button on the Production Cartography toolbar.
The Layout window displays.
- Click the Apply Layout Rules button.
The Apply Layout Rules dialog box appears.
- Click the Properties button .
The Layout Rules dialog box appears.
- If necessary, click the Elements Placement tab.
- Select any combination of vertical and horizontal rules.
- Right-click the selected rules and choose Group.
The selected rules are moved into a New Group node.
- Click OK.
To ungroup placement rules, right-click a group and choose Ungroup. The ungrouped rule moves to the bottom of the Placement Rules list.