Updating geometries of existing features
The Update Feature Shape Using Feature tool allows you to update or replace an existing selected feature from the target database with another selected feature from the scratch database matching the same data type.
- Start ArcMap.
- On the main menu, click Customize > Toolbars > Production Editing.
- On the menu bar, click Customize > Toolbars > Production Feature Builder.
Click the Launch Feature Builder button on the Production Feature Builder toolbar.
The Feature Builder window appears in ArcMap.Tip:
The Feature Builder window can be placed anywhere in ArcMap, or in the TOC, with the aid of the arrows showing the possible placement positions.
- Verify that the Feature Builder Scratch dataset is loaded in your map.
Click the Production Start Editing button on the Production Editing toolbar.
The Manage Features and Create Attributes, Update Attributes, or Metadata Attributes windows automatically appear when you start an edit session using the Production Start Editing tool.Tip:
If the Create Attributes, Update Attributes, or Metadata Attributes window does not appear when you start an edit session, click the Show/Hide Attributes button on the Manage Features window.
- Choose the workspace that contains the target feature class as your editing workspace.
Ensure that the feature class and/or subtype you want to use is selected on the Create tab of the Manage Features window.
This layer must have the same geometry as the selected feature builder geometry or geometries.
- Select a single feature builder geometry and a single target feature to be updated with the geometry from the selected scratch feature.
Click the Update Feature Shape Using Feature button on the Production Feature Builder toolbar.
The geometry is updated to the feature in the scratch database.