Adding text associated with a single feature with the text string derived from a feature attribute
- Specify the active annotation target on the Draw toolbar.
- Click the Label Manager button on the Labeling toolbar.
- Choose a label class under the layer you want to label.
- Click the Label Field drop-down arrow and click the attribute field you want to use as a label.
- Click OK.
- Click the Label tool on the Draw toolbar.
- Click Place label at position clicked.
- Click Choose a style and click the label style you want.
- Click the feature you want to label.
You may have to click the drop-down arrow to choose the Label tool.
If you click Automatically find best placement, ArcMap finds the best location for the label using the Label Engine that is specified for the data frame and the label properties that are set for the layer.
ArcMap labels the feature.