Best practices for editing terrain datasets
The following are some things to keep in mind when modifying a terrain dataset:
- When appending measurements to an existing terrain dataset, they should be adjacent to measurements already in the terrain dataset. The dataset should grow as a unified area rather than in fragmented pieces.
- Edits to measurements can have an impact on the terrain dataset surface that spans tile boundaries. Therefore, when one tile is made dirty, the build process will include the tile and its immediate neighbors, for a total of nine. When you make edits in contiguous tiles, you have a more efficient build process than when editing disparate tiles. Consider this in the editing workflow.
- When obtaining data to add to a terrain dataset, the data should be in the same projected coordinate system as the terrain dataset. Unknown coordinate systems are not recommended. Geographic coordinates, such as decimal degrees, are not supported.
- Do not build a terrain dataset in an edit session.
- Do not perform schema editing in an edit session.