Enclosing documentation files
Enclose a file within an ArcGIS item's metadata if it contains information that's important enough that you want to ensure it's available. Files can also be referenced from within the metadata, which is far more efficient if many items would reference the same file and the file's location is not expected to change frequently.
- In ArcCatalog, click the ArcGIS item within whose metadata you want to enclose a file.
Click the Metadata Properties button on the Metadata toolbar.
The Metadata Properties dialog box opens.
The Add New Enclosure dialog box opens.
The Add Enclosure dialog box opens.
- Navigate to and click the file you want to enclose in the metadata.
- Click Open.
- Type an appropriate description of the file in the Description text box.
Indicate whether the enclosure is a graphic file.
- Check Image if it is a graphic file such as a PNG or JPG.
- Uncheck Image if it is not a graphic file such as a text file or Word document.
Tip:You can't view this file until the enclosure has been saved within the metadata. The enclosure isn't saved until you click Apply or OK in the Metadata Properties dialog box.
The enclosed files are listed in the item's metadata.