Installing SQL Server Express
This topic applies to ArcEditor and ArcInfo only.
Follow these steps to install SQL Server Express on your computer using the executable on the ArcGIS Server Workgroup, ArcGIS Desktop, or ArcGIS Engine installation media.
- Log in to the computer as a user with administrative privileges.
- Make sure you have Microsoft Windows Installer 4.5, .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack (SP) 1, and Windows Powershell 1.0 or 2.0 on the computer. If you do not, you must obtain and install them from the Microsoft site before you can install SQL Server 2008 Express. Some of these applications require you restart your computer after installing them.
- Close all applications on your computer.
Access the installation media.
- If you have an ISO file, use an ISO extractor to access the installation files and run the ESRI.exe.
- If you have an ArcGIS Server Workgroup, ArcGIS Desktop, or ArcGIS Engine DVD insert it to the appropriate drive and run the ESRI.exe.
The Installation Options dialog box opens.
- Click Setup next to ArcSDE for Microsoft SQL Server Express to start the installation wizard.
- Leave the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express Edition option checked on the ArcSDE for SQL Server Express Installation Options dialog box and click Install.
With Microsoft SQL Server 2008, the installation wizard is the same for all editions of SQL Server. Use the installation wizard to install SQL Server 2008 Express as follows:
Click Installation on the left pane of the SQL Server Installation Center, then click New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation.
- The setup checks your computer to make sure it meets the minimum system requirements necessary to install SQL Server 2008 Express. When the check is finished, click OK.
- Next, install the setup support files. At this point, if you do not have the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 installed, which is required by SQL Server 2008 Express, the setup will close. If your computer has all the required files, it will pass this check. Click Next to proceed to the next dialog box.
Choose to install a new instance of SQL Server 2008 Express and click Next.
- You are installing the Express edition, so be sure Specify a free edition is chosen on the Product Key dialog box.
Accept the Microsoft license agreement and click Next.
Note:If you do not accept, the installation terminates.
On the Feature Selection dialog box, be sure Database Engine Services and Full-Text Search are selected. The Feature Selection dialog box should have the components selected as shown here:
On the Instance Configuration dialog box, choose Named instance. The default name is SQLExpress. You can accept this name or type a different name.
Note:The instance name cannot exceed 16 characters, must start with a letter, cannot contain spaces or special characters, and must not duplicate an existing instance name.
Also on the Instance Configuration dialog box, you can accept the default location to create the instance or browse to a different location. Click Next to continue.
- Next, the installation checks to make sure you have enough disk space in the location you specified for the SQL Server Express instance. Click Next to continue.
On the Server Configuration dialog box, you must specify accounts to run the Database Engine and Full-Text Search services. You should use different accounts for each one. The SQL Server Browser is already set to an account for you. See the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Books online for information on accounts to use for running services. This topic should help you get started: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143504.aspx#Review_windows_permissions.
- The SQL Server Express instance uses the default collation of the computer on which it is installed. If you need to choose a different collation, click the Collation tab and change the Database Engine language before proceeding. Be sure to use a case-insensitive collation, as case-sensitive collations are not supported with ArcGIS. Click Next to go to the next dialog box.
- On the Database Engine Configuration dialog box, choose Windows authentication mode. This is the only authentication mode supported for use with the geodatabase accessed through the Database Servers node in ArcCatalog.
- Add an administrative user for the SQL Server Express instance.
You cannot proceed with the installation if you do not add an administrative user.
- Click the Data Directories tab and specify the locations for your SQL Server Express files, or accept the defaults and click Next.
- On the Error and Usage Reporting dialog box, you can optionally choose to send information to Microsoft. Click Next to proceed.
- The next dialog box checks to make sure all installation rules are met. Click Next to proceed.
- Review the summary of your SQL Server Express installation, then click Install to perform the SQL Server Express installation. When the installation completes successfully, click Next, then Close to exit the Microsoft SQL Server installation wizard.
- Click Installation on the left pane of the SQL Server Installation Center, then click New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation.
When you run the SQL Server 2008 Express installation on a computer with a Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 operating system, you will receive a message that says "This program has known compatibility issues". Notice at the bottom of the message box that it says you must apply SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 1 (SP1) or a later service pack. Click Run program on this dialog box to proceed with the SQL Server 2008 Express installation. When that completes, go to the Microsoft SQL Server Web site, download the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express Edition Service Pack 1 file, then apply it to your SQL Server Express instance. Be sure to download the correct file for your operating system—SQLServer2008SP1-KB968369-x86-ENU.exe for 32-bit instances and SQLServer2008SP1-KB968369-x64-ENU.exe for 64-bit instances.