Authorizing ArcSDE geodatabases in Informix on Windows
You can authorize a new geodatabase as part of the postinstallation setup using the ArcSDE Post Installation wizard. You can also run the authorization portion of the ArcSDE Post Installation wizard at another time, to update the license key in an existing geodatabase.
To reopen the Post Installation wizard, go to Start > All Programs > ArcGIS > ArcSDE > ArcSDE for Informix Post Installation.
Every ArcSDE geodatabase must be authorized using the authorization file because the authorization information is stored in the ArcSDE geodatabase repository. The ArcSDE service will not start nor will you be able to make any direct connections to the geodatabase unless your geodatabase repository has been configured using a valid authorization file.
The Post Installation wizard lets you authorize your geodatabase over the Internet, or, if you do not have Internet access on your server, you can request an authorization file via e-mail. When you receive the file from ESRI via e-mail, run the Post Installation wizard again to authorize the geodatabase.
Choose the type of postinstallation you want to perform by clicking Complete or Custom on the Welcome to the Post Installation dialog box.
- If you are running the authorization as part of geodatabase creation, choose Complete.
- If you have opened the wizard from the Start menu to authorize an existing geodatabase, choose Custom.
- Click Next.
Depending on whether you are doing a complete or custom postinstallation setup, you must provide specific information before you get to the authorization dialog box.
- If you are running a complete postinstallation setup, complete the steps in the wizard prior to authorization.
- If you are running a custom postinstallation to only authorize the geodatabase, you must provide connection information. You must connect as the ArcSDE administrative user to authorize the geodatabase.
When you get to the Authorization Options dialog box, choose an authorization option.
- The first time you run the software authorizaton wizard, choose I have installed my software and need to authorize it.
- If you already ran the software authorization wizard and requested ESRI to e-mail you an authorization file, choose I have received an authorization file from ESRI and am now ready to finish the authorization process, browse to or type in the location and name of your authorization file, click Next, then skip to step 12.
- Click Next.
If you chose the option I have installed my software and need to authorize it, choose the authorization method you want to use on the Authorization Method dialog box.
- If you have Internet access on the server, choose Authorize with ESRI now using the Internet. This allows you to authorize your geodatabase immediately upon providing your information in the wizard.
- If you do not have Internet access on the server, choose Authorize at ESRI's website or by email to receive your authorization file. This allows you to save a file containing the information you need to submit to ESRI via email or on the ESRI Customer Service website.
- Click Next.
- You must provide information about your account to authorize the software with ESRI. Type the necessary information and click Next to continue.
- Provide information about your organization and the job you perform in the organization and click Next.
- On the Software Authorization Number dialog box, you must type the ArcGIS Server authorization number.
This number was sent to your organization along with the information on how to obtain the software. If you do not have this number, contact the person at your organization who is in charge of your software purchases and maintenance contracts.
- Depending on what option you chose in step 6, you will do one of the following:
- If you chose Authorize with ESRI now using the Internet in step 6, clicking Next on the Evaluate Software Extensions dialog box automatically submits your information to ESRI over the Internet.
- If you have Internet access on a different computer and chose Authorize at ESRI's website or by email to receive your authorization file, click Save to create a file with your authorization information, transfer the file to the computer that has Internet access, then open a Web browser and go to https://service.esri.com/drm to upload your authorization information.
- If you do not have Internet access, click Save to create a file with your authorization information. Transfer that file to a computer with e-mail access and e-mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you ran the Post Installation wizard to only update the authorization file, click Finish to close the wizard.
- If you chose a complete postinstallation setup, proceed with the ArcSDE service setup.