Exercise 3: Finding addresses
In this tutorial, you'll learn how to find an address on the Geocoding toolbar and the Find dialog box in ArcMap.
Find an address on the Geocoding toolbar
- Start ArcMap by clicking Start > All Programs > ArcGIS > ArcMap 10.
- If the Geocoding toolbar is not visible, click Customize > Toolbars > Geocoding to add it.
A list of default locators, including geocoding services from ArcGIS Online and a Military Grid Reference System (MGRS) locator, have been added to ArcMap. You can use these locators to find addresses or locations.
- Click the Catalog window button on the Standard toolbar to open the Catalog window.
- Navigate to the geocoding tutorial data folder and drag and drop the streets feature class to the map display.
Click the Manage Address Locators drop-down arrow on the left side of the Geocoding toolbar and click <Manage Address Locators>.
The Address Locator Manager dialog box appears.
- In the Address Locator Manager dialog box, click the Add button to open the Add Address Locator dialog box.
- Browse to the Atlanta file geodatabase and double-click the Atlanta address locator.
The Address Locator Manager dialog box closes, and the Atlanta locator is added to the list in the Address Locator Manager dialog box.
- Click the <Type an address...> text box, type 150 Linden Ave NE, then press ENTER.
A ToolTip appears showing the full address returned by the locator, and the point location on the map flashes.
Right-click the address on the Geocoding toolbar and click Add Labeled Point to add the graphic point and its label to the map.
Type 100 feet NW from 150 Linden Ave NE in the Address Input text box and press ENTER. Then, right-click the address and add it to the map as a labeled point.
Address locators created in the current version of ArcGIS support finding an address based on a spatial offset. The spatial offset can be presented as 100 feet NW from [an address] or in any other distance, linear unit, and direction from the address. Instead of specifying a direction, you can enter a bearing degree, for example, 200 yards bearing 70 from [an address].
Instead of using the Address Locator Manager to add a locator to ArcMap, you can click and drag a locator from the Catalog window and drop it in the map area or Table of Contents.
Find an address in the Find dialog box
- Click the Find button on the Tools toolbar.
- In the Find dialog box that appears, click the Locations tab.
- Click the Choose a locator drop-down list and click Atlanta.
Type 300 Peachtree St NE 30303 in the Full Address text box and press ENTER, or click Find to search for candidates.
Found candidates ranked by score are shown at the bottom of the dialog box. You can see more candidates by checking the Show all candidates check box.
Right-click the first candidate in the list and click Add Point in the context menu.
A graphic point representing the location of the address appears on the map.
- Click Cancel to close the Find dialog box.