Exercise 5: Creating a study area and adding business listings
In this exercise, you will create a study area and add businesses to the entire United States.
Click Business Analyst on the toolbar and click Study Area.
- On the Study Area Wizard dialog box, select Create New Study Area and click Next.
- On the Study Area Wizard dialog box, click By Continental US and click Next.
- On the Study Area Wizard dialog box, type By Continental US in the What do you want to name the new Study Area? text box.
- Click Finish.
Click Business Analyst on the toolbar and click Add Business Listings.
- On the Add Business Listings dialog box, type Trader Joe's in the Search text box and click Go.
- Under Business Name section, click TRADER JOE'S as shown in the image below and click Finish.
Now that you have defined the study area, you will add the business listings to the map. Adding businesses allows you to see your competitor's locations or help determine the economic impact of certain industries in an area. To complete this exercise, you will load nationwide grocery store locations for Trader Joe's.
Click Exercise 6: Creating simple ring trade areas and a spatial overlay to go to the next exercise.