Creating features with the Shape Recognition tool
The Shape Recognition tool is designed to capture vector features from shapes on raster images that represent buildings or circular objects such as wells or storage tanks. Rather than having to manually trace or sketch around these features, the tool allows you to click once inside the raster shape to generate a vector feature. A line or polygon is created, depending on the current feature template active in the Create Features window.
ArcScan determines the best vector shape (rectangle, square, circle, or ellipse) to create based on the morphology of the underlying raster feature.
These steps can be used to create lines or polygons:
- To create lines, click a line feature template in the Create Features window.
- To create polygons, click a polygon feature template in the Create Features window.
- Click the Shape Recognition tool .
- Move the pointer to a raster feature you want to capture.
- Click once to generate a vector feature. A single feature is created encompassing the underlying raster feature. ArcScan determines the best-fitting shape (square, rectangle, circle, or ellipse) to create.