Finding invalid geometry
Invalid geometry is caused by a variety of processes, including loading and clipping data. Geometry that is considered invalid meets one of the following conditions:
- Not simple
- Has an empty envelope
The Invalid Geometry check finds invalid features in a selected feature class. The check can be run on an entire feature class, a subtype, or a set of features selected using a SQL query.
Once you have defined the criteria for the check, you can configure the notes and a severity rating. The notes allow you to provide a more specific description for the feature that has been written to the Reviewer table and are copied to the Notes field in the Reviewer table. The severity rating allows you to indicate how important the results from a check are in terms of your quality assurance/quality control processes. The lower the number, the greater the priority the check's results have.
- Start ArcMap.
- On the main menu, click Customize > Toolbars > Data Reviewer.
Click the Select Data Check drop-down arrow on the Data Reviewer toolbar, click the plus sign (+) next to Default Checks, then click Invalid Geometry Check.
The Invalid Geometry Check Properties dialog box appears.
- If necessary, type a unique name for the check in the Check Title text box.Remarque :
The check title can be used to describe the conditions you are looking for with the check. This is useful when you have multiple instances of the same check to validate the same feature classes or tables but with different validation parameters.
- Click the Feature Class/Subtype drop-down arrow to choose the feature class and subtype on which to run the check.
- To run the check on the entire feature class and save this setting, check the Always Run on Full Database check box.
- To run the check on specific features in a feature class, click SQL to construct a SQL query.
- If necessary, type descriptive text for the check results in the Notes text box in the Reviewer Remarks area.
- If necessary, click the Severity drop-down arrow and choose a value that indicates the priority of the check's results in the Reviewer Remarks area.
- Click OK.
Click the Run Data Check button on the Data Reviewer toolbar.
The Features to Validate dialog box appears.
To run the check only on features that have been edited in a versioned workspace, check the Changed Features Only check box.
The Changed Features Only option is available only for a versioned database.
- Click OK.