Create an ArcPad App shortcut
An App shortcut must be created on the platform on which it will be used. A Windows App shortcut cannot be used on a Windows Mobile device, and likewise, a Windows Mobile App shortcut cannot be used on a Windows device.
To create an App shortcut
- Start ArcPad.
- Open your ArcPad map (.apm).
- On the Quick Access menu choose Create App Shortcut.
- On the dialog box, nominate the shortcut name, the icon, and any additional options.
The options allow you to alter the way ArcPad is launched when using the App. For example, you can choose to omit the ArcPad configuration file ArcPad.apx from the launch process. This will mean that only toolbars defined in your applet will load.
The minimum choices to make are the name of the App and the App icon. A selection of icons is supplied with ArcPad, and you can optionally browse to and select from any .icl, .dll, or .exe file that contains icons. Tap OK to create your App.
On the Options tab, you can choose the following:
- Use an applet that contains project specific customizations. If you have applets loaded in ArcPad, they will be listed in the Applet list. Either choose from the list or browse to and select your preferred applet.
- Load applets from preference paths. By choosing this option, any applets nominated in your ArcPadPrefs.apx will be loaded. By default any applets stored in your Public Documents\ArcPad\Applets, or \Program Files\ArcGIS\ArcPad\Applets folders are nominated in the ArcPadPrefs.apx and will be loaded. By default, Load applets from preference paths is selected.
- Specify preferences. Preferences are stored in an ArcPadPrefs.apx file. If this option is not selected, the default ArcPadPrefs.apx file located in the My ArcPad folder is used by the App. By default, Specify preferences is unselected.
- Multiple Apps mode. When selected, this allows you to open more than one App at a time, effectively launching multiple copies of ArcPad. By default, Multiple Apps mode is selected.Note:
You should be cautious when launching multiple copies of ArcPad (by launching multiple Apps) on Windows Mobile devices. Each instance will consume memory on the device, which may affect performance.
- Allow Design Mode. When selected, this allows Design Mode to be turned on while using the App. By default, Allow Design Mode is not selected.
- Store shortcut in map folder When selected, the shortcut is not created in the default location but instead is created in the project folder. This is useful when running a project from, or transferring a project with, a memory card. With the shortcut in the same location as the other project files, you can easily copy your project from one device to another. Additionally, when created on a Windows Mobile device, the ArcPad Today plug-in will automatically scan the device and any inserted memory cards and display shortcuts on the ArcPad Today screen.Note:
When creating a shortcut on Windows, it is in Windows binary format and when on Windows Mobile, in text format. The Windows and Windows shortcuts are not interchangeable.
On the Configuration tab, you can choose to do the following:
- Load startup configuration and toolbars. By choosing this option, configurations including toolbars, will be loaded. You might choose to unselect this option if you have specified an applet on the previous tab that contains all of your project customizations. By default, the Load startup configuration and toolbars is selected.
- Specify startup configuration. Configurations are stored in an ArcPad.apx file. If this option is not selected, the default ArcPad.apx file located in the My ArcPad folder is used by the App. By default, Specify startup configuration is unselected.