Publishing an ArcPad project
To publish an arcpad project you need:
- Map document (mxd)
- ArcPad configuration file (apo)
These two files must be saved in a location from where they can be accessed by ArcGIS Server. The publication process is the same as for any ArcGIS Server Map Service.
To learn more about Map Services, see What is a Map Service in the ArcGIS Server help
To learn more about Publishing a GIS resource to the server (using ArcCatalog), see Publishing in the ArcGIS Server help
The ArcPad Extension for ArcGIS can only be used to publish data via ArcCatalog. The ArcGIS Server Manager cannot be used to publish ArcPad data.
In order to publish your project:
- Open ArcCatalog by clicking Start > All Programs > ArcGIS > ArcCatalog.
- If you do not have a connection, double-click Add ArcGIS Server, as
shown above. The following screen appears.
- Choose the option Manage GIS Services and click Next. The following
- Enter the connection details for your ArcGIS Server and click Finish. The
Server URL should be http://<yourgisservermachinename>/arcgis/services and the Host name
should be <yourgisservermachinename>. Click Finish and
the server you just created will be added in ArcCatalog. To add a map service
(which will contain your arcpad publication), right-click on the ArcGIS
server you just created and choose Add New Service as shown below. Note:
The Server URL<http://yourgisservermachinename>/arcgis/services is used to connect internally for publishing. For external access, the web URL would be http://www.myserver.com/arcgis/services.
- Give your map service a unique name. In this case the name is
Riverside_ArcPad. See the screen capture below.
- When you click Next, the following screen appears.
- Browse for the Map Document, which you previously configured with the Get Data
for ArcPad wizard for publication to ArcGIS Server. In this example, it is \\Webboy\MXD\RiversideSDE.mxd. Now select the server cache directory;
in this example, the default value listed in the drop-down list is chosen. Click
The map document file path must be accessible across a network, so it should be \\ server name\filename.mxd.
- The following screen appears:
- Select the ArcPad service from the list in the top left-hand corner of the
dialog box, as shown above. Once the service is selected, a summary of the contents
of the configuration file is displayed under Properties. Ensure that
this is the configuration you wish to publish and click Next. The following
- Choose the pooling and time-out requirements on this page. For this example, the
values are kept at the default. Click Next. The following screen appears.
- Choose the process preferences on this screen. The values are kept at the default in
this example. Confirm the service you are about to create, and choose to
start the service right now. Click Finish. The following screen appears.
- Your data is now published on the Server.