Selecting the appropriate layers
Let’s begin by starting ArcPad and setting the default Map Path to where the Elmore sample data is located. You will then add the layers that you need.
- On your Windows Mobile device, start ArcPad by tapping Start>Programs, then tap
ArcPad. You will see the ArcPad splash screen briefly, then the ArcPad Start Menu. Choose the option 'Choose Map to Open'. ArcPad will open
with the Open Map dialog box.
The Open Map dialog box displays the list of all maps in the Default Maps and Data Path. It also displays the thumbnail of the map, if available.When you open ArcPad for the first time, the Default Maps and Data Path is not set so the Open map dialog may appear empty (as below).
- Tap the cancel button on the Open Map dialog box, as shown in the above image. This will open a new empty map.
- Tap the Options button on the Main toolbar. This opens the ArcPad Options
- Tap the right arrow button.
- Tap the Paths tab.
- Tap the Folder button next to the Default Maps & Data Path. This will open the Directory Browser. Navigate to the Elmore folder and tap the folder to select it. By default the Samples folder is installed in the My Documents folder on Windows Mobile devices.
- Tap OK. Next time you open the Open Map dialog, the Elmore map will be listed.
- Tap the Add Layer button on the Main toolbar. The Add Layer(s) dialog box
opens. Notice that the Path is set to the Elmore folder that you set in the
- Select aerial_elmore.jp2, customers.shp, land_use.shp, parcel.shp, rail.shp, rail_infrastructure.shp, and road.shp by checking the check box to the left of the layer. A red check indicates that a layer has been selected.
- Tap OK. The selected layers are drawn in the ArcPad Map window.