Steps to Get Data For ArcPad
In this task you will use the ArcPad Data Manager for ArcGIS to select and extract data for editing in ArcPad.
- Use Microsoft ActiveSync (for Windows XP) or Windows Mobile Device Center (for Windows Vista or Windows 7) to establish a synchronization session between your Desktop PC and Windows Mobile device. At the end of this exercise you will be prompted to install data to the connected device.
- On your PC, start ArcMap by clicking Start > All Programs > ArcGIS > ArcMap.
- Click Open.
- Navigate to the Riverside ArcMap Document (Riverside.mxd), which is located
under the \Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\ArcPad\Samples\Riverside folder (on Windows XP) or the \Users\Public\Documents\ArcPad\Samples\Riverside folder (on Windows Vista and Windows 7), and click Open.
The ArcPad Data Manager toolbar should already be activated. If the toolbar is not activated, it can be done so by selecting the ArcPad Data Manager extension in the Customize > Extensions dialog box.
- Use the Zoom In tool to zoom in to the top left-hand corner of the map so that
your map has a similar map extent to the below screen capture.
- Click the Get Data For ArcPad tool .
The Get Data For ArcPad dialog box allows you to select which layers in your map you want to extract for use in ArcPad. Layers can be selected for display purposes by choosing the Copyout as Background data (as either AXF or shapefiles). Background data cannot be checked in. Layers can also be checked out for editing (and subsequent edits checked back in) Only geodatabase feature class layers can be selected for editing in ArcPad. Any related tables associated with the layers selected for editing in ArcPad will also be included in the output ArcPad AXF file. The Get Data for ArcPad dialog box shows any relationship classes that are associated with the layers in the map. In this exercise, we will only be editing the Poles layer, while all other layers will be selected for display only.
- Click the arrow next to the Poles layer and choose Check out for disconnected
editing in ArcPad > Data based on defined extent.
- Click the arrow next to all remaining layers and choose Background data (shp).
- Click Next.
- Use the Folder tool to navigate to the folder where you want to save the extracted data. In this example use C:\.
- Click Next to select Deployment Options. Choose to create a ready to deploy
cab and to create data on this computer now. This will create the folder
C:\DataForArcPad, which will contain shps, an AXF, and .apm. It will also create a
cab containing the same files.
- Click Finish to extract the selected data, using the selected options, to the
A summary will appear when the Get Data for ArcPad process is completed.
The summary lists the output folder and map name, the projection of the output data, and the number and type of layers that have been extracted for use in ArcPad.
- You will now be prompted to copy data to your connected device.
You have completed the task of extracting data for use in ArcPad, and you are now ready to start the next task of editing this data in ArcPad.