Adding a new internet server to your map
- Tap the arrow below the Add Layer(s) button.
- Tap Add Data from Server.
- The default choice of service is an ArcGIS Online service. Alternatively you can choose ArcIMS Image Service (you will need to enter the ArcIMS Image Service url) or an ArcGIS Server ArcPad Service (for more information on Arcpad Services refer to Using data from ArcGIS Server).
- If you wish to download the very latest list of available services, tap the Refresh button.
Refreshing the services may take some time. To make browsing services faster, ArcPad stores a list of ArcGIS online services available in dialog, in the file \Documents\ArcPad\System\ArcPadServer.apx.
- Tap the service you would like to connect to.
- Tap OK.
For ArcGIS online layers ArcPad creates a .nmf file (ArcGIS Explorer map file) which stores the reference to the ArcGIS online host URL and the chosen map service.
For ArcIMS layers ArcPad creates a .gnd file (Geography Network Definition) which stores the reference to the ArcIMS host URL and the chosen map service.
- Navigate to the location where you want to save the file, and tap Save.
- ArcPad will ask you whether or not you would like to add the service to your current project. Tap Yes to add it. If you tap No, you can add it later with the Add Layer(s) tool.