Creating a new point feature using a 2 point offset
A 2 point offset enables you to create a point based on two reference points (A & B). The reference points can be set using a pen, GPS, or manually entered coordinates. There are two variations available in ArcPad for the 2 point offset: distance– distance and bearing–bearing.
- Make the point layer editable using the Start/Stop Editing tool.
- Tap the Offset Point button.
The Offset Point button is depressed on the Edit toolbar and a red box is placed around the Offset Point button in the drop-down list to indicate that it is active.
- Tap the drop-down arrow next to the Offset Point button and tap Set Reference Point A.
- Tap the screen to set reference point A.
- Tap the drop-down arrow next to the Offset Point button and tap Set Reference Point B.
- Tap the screen to set reference point B.Tip:
Using a GPS to set the reference points: ArcPad will automatically use the current GPS position for the reference point if data is received from a rangefinder and there is no current reference point defined, and either Offset Point, Linear Traverse, or Radial Traverse are enabled.
- If you have a rangefinder activated, shoot your target from each reference
point or simply tap the screen at the location of your feature.
The Point/Vertex dialog box opens on the 2 Point Offset page.Note:
Refer to section, Using your rangefinder for information on how to use your rangefinder with ArcPad.
- Make any necessary changes to the information that is displayed.
If you are using a rangefinder without a compass, you will need to specify whether the point you are capturing is to the left or to the right of an imaginary line between reference points A and B. You will also need to shoot a measurement twice, once for each distance from each reference point.
If you are only using a compass, you will be using two bearing measurements to calculate the offset.
- Tap OK.
The Feature Properties dialog box is displayed with an edit form, if it exists. Enter the information for the new feature.
- Tap OK.
- Your new feature is created.