What is dynamic text?
Dynamic text is text placed on a map layout that changes dynamically based on the current properties of the map document, data frame, and Data Driven Page. Create dynamic text for such things as:
- A user name
- The date a map document was saved
- The file path for the map document
- The page numbers and names that update automatically for each page in a series of Data Driven Pages
When you insert a piece of dynamic text, it automatically displays the current value of its respective property. When that property is updated, the dynamic text will automatically update. Dynamic text works through the use of tags, like HTML. This allows you to combine both dynamic and static text in a single text element and apply the available formatting options to customize the resulting text display.
Dynamic text is only supported for graphic text on the layout. If you attempt to add dynamic text tags to map annotation or geodatabase annotation, the raw dynamic text tag will be rendered. If you copy a graphic text into map annotation or geodatabase annotation, the tag will be deleted and the realized value, such as May 2, 2010, will be used for the annotation text. The commands for inserting dynamic text, such as Insert > Dynamic Text > Current Date, are not available when working in data view.
There are seven types of dynamic text:
- Computer (<dyn type ="computer"/>)—Returns the name of the machine currently viewing the map.
- User (<dyn type ="user"/>)—Returns to the name of the current login.
- Date (<dyn type ="date"/>)—Returns the current date and has a default format of M/d/YYYY (example: "01/01/1001").
- Time (<dyn type ="time"/>)—Returns the current time and has a default format of hh':'mm tt (example: "01:17 PM").
- Document (<dyn type ="document"/>)—Returns property values of the map document.
- Data frame (<dyn type ="dataframe"/>)—Returns property values of the specified data frame.
- Page (<dyn type ="page"/>)—Returns property values of the map's Data Driven Pages, if enabled.