Adding mixed-format text to legend descriptions
- Symbolize your layer by choosing a symbology option that supports class descriptions, for example, unique values, graduated colors, or graduated symbols.
Edit the class descriptions and enter some formatted text. To add a description, right-click the layer to which you want to add descriptive text in the table of contents, click Properties, then click the Symbology tab on the Layer Properties dialog box.
- If you are using the Single symbol method, click the Description button.
- If you are using a drawing method other than Charts, right-click a symbol after you have specified its symbology options and click Edit Description.
The text you enter appears next to that symbol in the legend; the text won't appear in the table of contents. If you want your description to be on more than one line, insert a line break by pressing CTRL+ENTER while on the Description for Legend dialog box.
- Click OK on the Layer Properties dialog box to apply the symbology to your layer.
- Switch to layout view.
- Click Insert > Legend. Follow the steps in the Legend Wizard.
- Edit the descriptions on the Symbology tab if desired and click Apply.
A legend is inserted onto your page with formatted text in the class descriptions.
The legend is automatically updated.
In this example, italic formatting tags have been added.