MapTips provide an additional way to present information about map features by providing interactive access to data via the map.
MapTips pop up as you pause the mouse pointer on a feature, providing a quick way to see the name of that feature or a particular piece of information without having to use the Identify tool or HTML pop-ups. ArcMap lets you choose which attribute field you want to display as your MapTip.
MapTips will only work in data view.
- Right-click the layer for which you want to display MapTips in the table of contents and click Properties.
- Click the Display tab and check Show MapTips using the display expression.
- Choose your desired display field and, optionally, specify a display expression.
- Click OK.
- In your data view, pause the mouse pointer on a feature to see its MapTip.
- For raster layers rendered using the RGB Composite renderer, the MapTip displays the RGB band combination at each pixel location.
- If you can't see MapTips even after you've enabled them, make sure that the layer is turned on and the features in the layer are not hidden by features in overlapping layers.
- If Show MapTips using the display expression is unavailable, it may be because the data source for the layer does not have a spatial index.